Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Why do this?





I started Woolynns because a good friend told me I was going to sell the scarves I was beginning to make. She did not encourage or ask; she informed me I will be selling them. That was over two years and 100 sales ago. I feel like I am painting with wool and silk when I'm working. Laying out fluffy wool roving on beautifully dyed silk; finding used silk scarves to cut up and piece together with other silks; laying swoops and swirls of yarns to different effect --- all of it feeds a part of me I didn't realize was hungry.

The muscles I use felting it all together reminds me of my years of baking bread; three and four loaves at a time, kneading all that dough worked my arms, hands, upper body. I have transferred that work into wetting down and rolling a scarf in bubble wrap and a towel for over an hour (in shifts), rubbing the fused materials against a textured surface until the wool shrinks and firms up. Where once the end result was fantastic warm bread for my family, now I get a one-of-a-kind piece of wearable art.

No comments:

Post a Comment